Friday, November 17, 2006

Let's Start at the Very Beginning

Here is the text of the e-mail I sent out on November 17, 2006:

When I was growing up, my parents emphasized two simple rules:
1 - go to college
2 - don't get pregnant

You can imagine how proud I am that I have exceeded my parents' expectations: 1) I not only went to college, I earned a master's degree; 2) at 45 (almost 46), I have never gotten "in trouble."

But those of you who know me well understand how tempted I am to break some rules...

I am happy to report that within the next year, I will become an un-wed, single mother (how naughty!) without ever being pregnant (no, this is not another case of immaculate conception). Today, I selected an agency to handle an international adoption for me and started the process by submitting an application that will be the first of many forms I will complete over the next few months. After choosing Kazakhstan as the country where I will adopt a boy or girl, 6 months to 2 years old, I then decided to work with a great agency that has a strong relationship with an orphanage in Karaganda, Kazakhstan -- Children at Heart Adoption Services from Mechanicville, NY and Wilmington, NC.

So November 17, 2006 is an important date -- the official start of my adoption process. It will be a busy year -- paperwork, fingerprinting, references, learning russian, waiting for permission to travel to the Karaganda orphanage, and then, finally, spending 6-8 weeks in Kazakhstan to choose, bond with, and legally adopt a child.

Yes, in between all of that, I'll also be working. For now, I am accepting projects again through Froggatt Consulting LLC as well as exploring some other options here in Ithaca, New York.

As the holiday season approaches (including that most important holiday -- my birthday -- on December 21st) and the tax year comes to a close, I hope you'll consider making a charitable contribution to an organization that in some way helps to make children's lives a little better. During my agency-selection process, I learned that the reputable agencies not only arrange successful placement of children that need loving families, but also give humanitarian aid to help those children who have not yet been adopted. I would, of course, recommend that you donate any extra money you have (yes, kids, even you have some "extra money") to the agency I am working with, Children at Heart, because I believe they do great work. If you were planning to give me a birthday or Christmas present, please donate the money instead.

Let me be clear. I have saved more than enough money to afford the nearly $40,000 cost of an international adoption all on my own. If you decide to make a donation to Children at Heart, it will go entirely toward their humanitarian efforts (there is no need to even mention my name).

If you enjoyed reading my updates during my recent cross-country drive, you may be pleased to know that I will be learning how to post photos/videos/text to a website before I make the trip to Kazakhstan -- so that you can all follow along (without having your e-mail in-box clogged by large photo attachments).

Happy Thanksgiving (a little early)!!!

best,
cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment