Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Ministry of Education interview!

 

At the end of my interview at the Ministry of Education this afternoon, the two interviewers said, "Good luck raising your son and finding a man to marry!" I, of course, replied, "Spaseeba" (thank you) with a big smile.

For those of you who don't know the intricate details of the Kazakhstani adoption process, I should explain that as of the end of the day Sunday, I had completed the 14-day bonding period with Arman. The next step, then, is the interview with the Ministry of Education. Now that I have successfully completed that step, I wait for a court date.

The two women who interviewed me were very nice, even funny at times -- they asked the routine questions: how much money do you make? do you own your house? Will you have help to raise your child? Do you realize your child is asian, will your family accept him? (okay, maybe that last question doesn't seem so routine.)

Some of you will find it humorous that half-way 'round the world, the interviewers asked me the very same question that I hate to be asked by men on first dates: "you are successful, pretty, smart, blah, blah, blah, but at 46, why aren't you married?" I really can't recall how I answered it today (I think I made a joke about still being hopeful), but I've decided that I should get married just so I never have to worry about coming up with an answer for that question again!

Since the interview was relatively short, I still got to spend about an hour with Arman in the late afternoon (thanks to Pam for taking today's photo). Later, Pam and I joined the Halls for dinner to celebrate their successful visit to court to adopt their son, Alistair (from the other baby house in town). They have been patiently waiting for this day for too long (they got to Karaganda on June 3rd and are just now starting the 15-day waiting period that follows court).
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment