Saturday, July 28, 2007

update

Thank you to all of you who responded with medical advice.
The good news is that most of my symptoms (sore throat, swollen glands, body aches, fever) are responding well to the Cipro. Unfortunately, my right eye remains unchanged (swollen on the outside, very red on the inside). I am coming to the conclusion that this is viral pink-eye, not bacterial pink-eye I am dealing with. I had wrongly decided that the eye infection that was not responding to the anti-biotic eye drops progressed into a larger bacterial infection that got really bad Friday evening. Now I am thinking that these are two unrelated infections: one bacterial -- maybe strep throat?; and one viral – the pink-eye. Of course, if this is the correct conclusion, the only thing I can do for my eye is apply warm compresses and wait it out. Sadly, I will not be able to return to the baby house to see Arman until all the infection is gone. I also need to make sure I do not infect the other eye (I had been putting drops into that eye as a preventive measure when I was treating it as bacterial).
As I said to one of the people who responded to my request for medical advice: I will always believe that one of the great mysteries of life is discerning whether an infection is viral or bacterial. Thanks again for all your help; if you see a flaw in my logic, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment